Launching today - CloudWATCH2; Think Cloud Services for Government, Business and Research
Today sees the launch of CloudWATCH2, which leads on from the successful CloudWATCH project which finishes on 30 September 2015.
Building on the success and outpus of CloudWATCH, CloudWATCH2 takes a pragmatic approach to market uptake and sustainable competitiveness for the wider uptake of new cloud services and products from European research and innovation initiatives. Running until August 2017, CloudWATCH2 helps R&I initiatives to overcome challenging issues like standards and pricing to maximise the socio-economic impact of this new cloud ecosystem.
Context and motivation
- A cloud market structure roadmap with transparent pricing to enable R&I projects to chart exploitation paths in ways they had not previously considered, or help them avoid approaches that would not have been successful.
- Mapping the EU cloud ecosystem of products, services and solutions emerging from EU R&I projects. Identifying software champions and best practices in mitigating risks associated with open source projects, and ultimately, enable faster time-to-value and commercialisation.
- Concertation for clustering and convergence on common themes and challenges. Re-use of technologies will also be of paramount importance.
- Promoting trusted & secure services through roadshows and deep dive training sessions. Giving R&I initiatives a route to users at major conferences or in local ICT clusters.
- A portfolio of standards for interoperability and security that can facilitate the realisation of an ecosystem of interoperable services for Europe.
- Cloud interoperability testing in an international developer-oriented and hands-on environment. Findings will be transferred into guidance documents and standards.
- Risk management and legal guides to the cloud for private and public organisations to lower barriers and ensure a trusted European cloud market.