To provide a new generation of multi-cloud services based software framework, enabling techniques and mechanisms to design, develop, and dynamically deploy multi-cloud aware applications in an ecosystem of reliable, interoperable, and legal compliant cloud services.
DECIDE will provide:
1) architectural patterns and needed tools for developers and operators of multi-cloud applications (following the DevOps approach),
2) tools and mechanisms for developing and operating multi-cloud applications that can be dynamically re-adapted to be re-deployed using new and different cloud services.
1. Developers and operators of multi-cloud native application providers
2. Multi-cloud native application providers
3. Users of multi-cloud native applications
DECIDE will provide the following tools:
- DECIDE DevOps will provide the adequate environment to design, develop, deploy and operate multi-cloud applications following the DevOps philosophy. The DevOps framework will be composed of several modules to the ones already available in the market for CI, CQ and CD, which are detailed below.
- DECIDE ARCHITECT: set of recommended architectural patterns to be applied in order to facilitate the design, development, optimization and deployment of a multi-cloud native application. Special emphasis in non-functional aspects is made.
- DECIDE OPTIMUS: means to simulate the most adequate application topology based on a set of user driven NFR and provide recommendations on the best options for the application deployment. Once the simulation has occurred, different deployment options will be suggested to the user taking into consideration the prioritized NFR.
- ACSmI: The Advanced Cloud Service meta-Intermediator (ACSmI) will offer, consume and assess trusted, interoperable, and standard cloud services where to deploy the applications. ACSmI will provide mechanisms to support the dynamic reconfiguration of cloud services based on changing conditions.
- DECIDE ADAPT: It allows the (semi-)automatic adaptation of the application and re-deployment in another configuration when certain conditions are not met. These conditions are the violations of the application’s own multi-cloud SLA (MCSLA) and the non-fulfilment of the NFP of the CSPs as well as the non-fulfilment of the NFP of the services provided by the ACSmI. These conditions will trigger an alert and will cause the OPTIMUS tool to be launched again in order to search for another deployment configuration.
DECIDE tools support application developers and operators in all phases of the SDLC and Software Operation Lifecycle (SOLC) of multi-cloud native applications. The DevOps philosophy, with more agile and smaller development cycles, with faster feedback is aimed at improving productivity, from both developers and operators. At design, pre-deployment and deployment time, DECIDE ARCHITECT will provide architectural patterns, modelling practices, snippets of code and deployment descriptors as well as the order in which these patterns need to be applied with the main aim of increasing productivity.
DECIDE OPTIMUS aims also at increasing productivity by supporting deployment decisions of multi-cloud applications before the deployment is actually made. Candidate deployment topologies are prioritized taking into consideration the NFR entered by the application developer, which means that (s)he does not have to decide on deployment options following a trial-error approach, but rather through an optimized one, based on big data optimization algorithms. The effort of selecting, aggregating, intermediating, contracting and monitoring legal aware and accredited cloud services offerings will also be alleviated thanks to the Advanced Cloud Service meta-Intermediator (ACSmI), and the creation of the multi-cloud SLA (MCSLA) will also be easier thanks to DECIDE DevOps framework.
Finally, DECIDE ADAPT, which offers means to monitor the fulfilment of the pre-defined application non-functional properties (NFP)s and the MCSLAs and (semi-)automatically self-adapt and re-deploy the application, will also help to increase the productivity of operators. In the case in which the application can be automatically re-deployed, the improvement is clear. In the case in which the re-deployment cannot be achieved in an automated way (e.g. applications with high technological risk), DECIDE ADAPT will provide the operator a report with the NFPs that are not being fulfilled and an input file to be able to simulate a new deployment topology through DECIDE OPTIMUS.