EUBrasilCloudFORUM, a Coordination and Support Action, aims at establishing an organisational cooperation model that enables the EU and Brazil to formulate and develop a common strategy and approach for Research & Innovation in Cloud Computing in line with the priorities of each region.
Why is this important?
The Digital Single Market (DSM), adopted by European Commission (CE) in May 2015, aims to open digital opportunities for people and business and enhance Europe's position as a world leader in the digital economy. Shaping the DSM strategy requires revitalising industry with a strong focus on cloud computing and the data economy at international level, with several countries around the world, namely Brazil, which has the largest cloud computing services market in Latin America.
Cloud computing has been a catalyst for economic growth and new business opportunities – creating new business models, accelerating innovation and changing the economics of industries - but requires research advances to fully realise its potential.
An open exchange with stakeholders from both Europe and Brazil is critical for building common consensus and for delivering practical guides on how Cloud services can help business and research activities. It is important to foresee future challenges, gaps and opportunities to get the most out of the Cloud and to keep Europe and Brazil on the cutting edge of ICT, maximising the growth potential of an transatlantic digital economy.
EUBrasilCloudFORUM plays an instrumental role by coordinating groups of experts investigating Cloud Computing topics for future research cooperation in ICT, particularly cloud computing, big data and the Internet of Things (IoT).
EUBrasilCloudFORUM supports European and Brazilian:
- Policy makers and ICT experts in developing a common strategy and approach for Research & Innovation in Cloud Computing in line with the priorities of each region and identifying Cloud Computing topics for future research cooperation in ICT.
- Startups and SMEs by giving visibility to their services with both European and Brazilian audiences through EUBrasilCloudFORUM marketplace, demos and others, while facilitating their market uptake and transatlantic business cooperation
- Academia and Researchers by leveraging on past Research and Innovation initiatives and guiding current ones on the relevant topics for EU-Brazilian cooperation in ICT.
To support the development of a transatlantic economy in ICT and a stronger position globally for Europe and Brazil in the digital market, EUBrasilCloudFORUM:
- Develops an EU-Brazil Research & Innovation Roadmap, proposing specific cloud computing topics for consideration in the context of the near future EU-BR collaborative calls, planned for 2018/2019;
- Creates an online marketplace, with an online catalogue of relevant assets and players to support public and private stakeholders interested in transatlantic collaboration;
- Structures a community driven engagement forum for EU-Brazil policy, research & innovation dialogues engaging experts and stakeholders into two Working Groups;
- Organises and delivers a series of focused EU-BR Cloud Computing events: Cloudscape Brazil (about hot ICT topics for cooperation) and Workshop of Cloud Networks (latest challenges, technologies, solutions and techniques on cloud) and contribute to the organization of the annual EU-Brazil Policy Dialogues in ICT.
The expected impact of EUBrasilCloudFORUM is to nurture an environment to enable market uptake of EU-BR research and innovation outputs, by organizations of all sizes, types and across sector, to support the growth of a transatlantic data economy thanks to Cloud Computing. The projects aims to promote cloud computing cooperation and dialogue between Policy support via programmed management, researchers and innovators from Europe and Brazil. Furthermore, EUBrasilCloudFORUM intents to support the formulation and development of an EU-BR strategy in Cloud Computing for the forthcoming years, according to main priorities from both regions.
The EUBrasilCloudFORUM roadmap will help decision makers to set-up actions to boost EU-Brazil cooperation as a win-win incentive for both economies. New strategies to boost investments from Europe to Brazil will be indicated, to support the income of European investments in the country.
At the same time, the growth potential of Brazil will be exploited to boost job creation in Europe, with new market ideas to be developed in the Union towards the Brazilian ICT market. The establishment of new partnerships involving research and commercial actors (iii) and the provision of instructions and guidelines to small and medium companies to enlarge their businesses in Brazil will be addressed. This process will take into account both ICT Research and private telecommunication actors, as well as R&D department of large industry to support industrial & market uptake and ICT eSkills development of the new generations.