MODAClouds: Model-Driven Approach for design and execution of applications on multiple Clouds
MODAClouds recommends the following fields:
- Model-driven engineering of Clouds;
- Decision support systems for Cloud migration;
- Automated deployments and redeployments in Clouds;
- Data management and synchronisation between multiple Clouds;
- Combine automation with customisation of Cloud services;
- Define re-engineering process for Cloud migration;
- Establish standard metrics for quality of service;
- Introduce Modelling-as-a-Service;
- Portability and interoperability;
- Self-organisation in Federation and Multi-Clouds;
- Benchmarks for Clouds;
- Enhance the number of Cloud-related standard implementations;
- Establish standards for machine-readable representations of services, quality, negotiations.
MOdel-Driven Approach for design and execution of applications on multiple Clouds (MODAClouds) provides methods, a decision support system, an open source Integrated Development Environment and a run-time environment for the high-level design, early prototyping, semi-automatic code generation, and automatic deployment of applications on Multi-Clouds, with guaranteed quality of service. Model-driven development combined with model-driven risk analysis is introduce by the project to the Cloud computing application cycle. The project addresses the application developers that will be able to specify in a vendor agnostic manner the models of Cloud services in which they are interested, as well as to enrich these models with quality parameters. Moreover, to close the current gap between the design and run-time stages of an application, both performing quality predictions, as well as run-time monitoring and optimisation, are providing information to the design time environment.
The project partners are committed to maintain and enhance, beyond the project end, the software engineering tools developed in the frame of the project. Moreover, the commercial partners are already integrating these tools in their products and services. For example, we mention here the triggers technology that were introduced by FLEXIANT in their platform as a service product and the ADONIS:cloud by BOC for business process management.
The four proof-of-concept applications are currently providing the feedback on the usefulness of the tools that were developed. The project team is working with PaaSage and ARTIST teams on the CloudML development and improvement following the feedback from use cases. Moreover, it participate to various initiative of other projects for common dissemination and training activities. The Cloud application portability is a topic that is relevant for MODAClouds as targeting the easy deployment in Multi-Clouds. In this direction the team is enhancing the facilities provided by the middleware developed in the frame of earlier projects mOSAIC, Cloud4SOA and REMICS. A particular direction of improvement is related to data models, communication and synchronisation for and between multiple Clouds.