SWITCH addresses the urgent industrial need to develop and execute time critical applications in Clouds. Applications such as disaster early warnings, collaborative communication and live event broadcasting can only realise their expected business value when they meet critical requirements in terms of performance and user experience.
• Software industry: to support software development and consultancy companies in delivering time-critical applications and services.
• Cloud service providers: to enable SLAs for time-critical services.
• Telecom service providers: for network providers and infrastructure operators.
• SMEs and entrepreneurs: for operating and developing their own applications with time critical requirements.
• Education organisations / Universities: for education/training purposes.
• For a wide collection of domains that require time critical services: Time critical applications in specific domains.
• Technology vendors including API management companies SDN and virtualization vendors, Telecom-managed service providers, and wireless/mobile infrastructure providers.
The very high requirements posed on network and computing services, particularly for well-tuned software architecture with sophisticated data communication optimisation, impies that development of such time critical applications is often customised to dedicated infrastructure, and that system performance is difficult to maintain when the infrastructure changes.
This fatal shortcoming in the existing architecture and software tools yields very high development costs, and makes it difficult to fully utilize the virtualised, programmable services provided by networked Clouds to improve system productivity.
SWITCH aims to improve existing development and execution models of time critical applications by introducing a novel conceptual model (application-infrastructure co-programming and control model), in which application QoS/QoE, together with the programmability and controllability of the Cloud environments, can all be included in the complete lifecycle of applications.
Based on this conceptual model, SWITCH provides an interactive environment todevelop applications and control their execution, a real-time infrastructure planner todeploy applications in Clouds, and an autonomous system adaptation platform to monitor and adapt system behaviour.